ASLA-NY awards the following three scholarships annually:
ASLA-NY Equitable Public Urban Space Scholarship
Deadline: February 1
The New York Chapter of the American Society of Landscape Architects (ASLA-NY) established this scholarship to support future leaders who will strive to make living in urban environments more equitable, healthier and enjoyable. ASLA-NY encompasses the five boroughs of New York City, Nassau and Suffolk counties on Long Island, and Westchester, Putnam, Dutchess, Orange and Rockland counties.
The award is open to currently-enrolled undergraduate or master’s students studying landscape architecture at Landscape Architecture Accreditation Board (LAAB) accredited programs in the United States. To be eligible, the applicant’s university must be within the ASLA-NY Chapter boundary*, or the applicant must be a permanent resident of the Chapter boundary, or must have graduated from a high school within the ASLA-NY Chapter boundary. Applicants must be U.S. citizens and have a minimum “B” grade point average (2.5-3.5).
Candidates must demonstrate a commitment to and interest in equitable design of the public realm including:
- Their approach to academic or real world public projects,
- How they attempt to reflect the breadth of public needs and culture,
- Organizations they may have worked for that contribute to the public realm,
- Related volunteer activities,
- A unique approach to equitable urban public space design as described in their essay and supported by their recommendation letters,
- Creative methods of public participation in the design process as demonstrated in their work samples, or
- Other ways that the candidate can make the case for their passion for equitable public space design.
Candidates are evaluated based on:
- Clear response to essay question (40%)
- Creativity in approach to design (30%)
- Quality of writing (20%)
- Proven volunteer efforts (10%)
Applications are made through the Landscape Architecture Foundation. CLICK HERE to apply
Donate to the ASLA-NY Equitable Public Urban Space Scholarship
To contribute to the ASLA-NY Equitable Public Urban Space Scholarship, you must make a donation through the Landscape Architecture Foundation and indicate that your donation should be applied to the ASLA-NY scholarship in the “Why do you support LAF? field. Please note that you must make this notation in order for your donation to be directed to the scholarship fund. Click here to donate.