The NYS DEC is making the proposed updates to the Blue Book available for public review and comment (see announcement below from the 2/24 Environmental News Bulletin). The more significant changes are summarized below. Written comments must be submitted to the Department by March 25, 1016.
- Reorganization of standard to reflect recommended planning/design considerations for developing an Erosion and Sediment Control Plan (i.e. erosion control which includes runoff control and soil stabilization practices, then sediment control). See Tables 2.1 – 2.4 for matrix of practices.
- Addition of required design considerations for the different types of construction project (e.g. linear highway, linear utility, large residential, small residential, etc.). See Section 2, pages 2.4 – 2.13.
- Inclusion of standards and specifications to address EPA’s ELGs (e.g. Concrete Truck Washout (pg. 2.4), Site Pollution Prevention (pg. 2.9), Soil Restoration (pg. 4.52), Buffer Filter Strip (pg.5.3), and Dewatering Device (pg. 5.10).
- Addition of new standards/specifications to address changes in technology (i.e. Compost Filter Sock, Drop Inlet Protection, Dewatering Device, Geotextile Filter Bag, Sediment Dike, Anchored Stabilization Matting, Loose Stabilization Blankets, Flow Diffuser).
- Deletion of out dated or no longer used practices/standards.
- Clarification of the design criteria for the majority of the standards based on current studies and field testing (i.e. Silt Fence, Sediment Basin, Sediment Trap, etc.).
- Deletion of all references to the use of invasive species for the establishment of vegetative cover. This change was made based on comments from DEC’s Invasive Species Coordination Unit.
Updated design examples in Appendix B (i.e. Flow Diffuser, Sediment Basin, Silt Fence, Rock Outlet Protection).
NEW YORK STATE STANDARDS and SPECIFICATIONS for EROSION and SEDIMENT CONTROL
The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (NYSDEC) is making the draft update of the NEW YORK STATE STANDARDS and SPECIFICATIONS for EROSION and SEDIMENT CONTROL available for public review and comment.
The purpose of this document is to provide minimum standards and specifications for meeting criteria set forth by the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (NYS DEC) for stormwater discharges associated with construction activity. The standards and specifications provide criteria on We minimizing erosion and sediment impacts from construction activity involving soil disturbance.
The current technical standard is now ten years old and needed updating to address EPA’s Effluent Limitation Guidelines published on December 1, 2009, advancements in technology, and issues that have been identified by stakeholders (e.g. private sector consultants, other governmental agencies, etc.) that use the document.
A copy of the draft technical standard is available on DECs website at:
Written comments on the draft standard must be submitted by close of business on March 25, 2016 to: [email protected]; or the contact listed below. Note: If submitting comments by e-mail please indicate “Blue Book Updates” in the “Subject” line.
Contact: Dave Gasper, P.E., NYS DEC – Division of Water, 625 Broadway, 4th Floor, Albany, NY 12233-3505, E-mail: [email protected].