CALL TO ACTION
CLIMATE ACTION DRAFT SCOPING PLAN PUBLIC COMMENT PERIOD
Deadline for Comments Extended: July 1, 2022
The Climate Leadership and Community Protection Act (Climate Act) was signed into New York State law in 2019 as one of the most ambitious climate laws in the world.
The law created the Climate Action Council, which was tasked with developing a Draft Scoping Plan that serves as an initial framework for how the State will reduce greenhouse gas emissions and achieve net-zero emissions, increase renewable energy usage, and ensure climate justice.
July 1, 2022 marks the end of a public comment period for the Council, which intends to release a final scoping plan by the end of 2022.
WHY YOU NEED TO KNOW:
- The Plan directly addresses areas in which we as landscape architects have direct influence and consequence;
- Currently, the Plan does not include any mention of landscape architecture as a critical practice to be included in this discussion;
- This legislation will impact both the general public and our industry foreseeably for the future;
- The time to make our voices heard is NOW!
HOW YOU CAN PARTICIPATE:
- Read the Draft Scoping Plan (here).
- Share your comments about the Plan (here) – and don’t forget to mention our industry’s absence from the legislation!
- Contact your local representative to ensure their awareness of landscape architecture and the critical role the practice needs to play in this legislation and in addressing climate change (contact list here) – OR:
- Sign the petition that will be released later this week.
Watch our social media channels for highlights of the Climate Action Draft Scoping Plan!
For more information, contact NYSCLA President Nicholas Schwartz, RLA, LEED AP at NYSCLAPresident@gmail.com.
BE INFORMED + ENGAGE + ADVOCATE!
- Draft Scoping Plan (https://climate.ny.gov/Our-Climate-Act/Draft-Scoping-Plan)
- Public Comment Form (https://nyserda.seamlessdocs.com/f/DraftScopingComments)
- NY State Legislature contact list/links (https://www.govtrack.us/congress/members/NY)