W Architecture and Landscape Architecture- Junior-Level Designer and Mid-Level Designer/Project Manager
Posted: Wednesday, August 24, 2022
W is growing and innovating again! We are looking for amazing people who want to do amazing things. Led by founding principal Barbara Wilks (FAIA, FASLA) and managing principal Amy Mitchell (ASLA, CPSI), W’s mission is to reconnect people of all ages, abilities, and backgrounds to nature in creative and meaningful ways. Our projects cross multiple realms—from urban spaces to parks, trails, and natural environments—always with a focus on creating an inspiring place where people can grow, develop, and connect within a diverse and layered natural experience.
W Architecture and Landscape Architecture has recently welcomed MIG, Inc. to their studio in Downtown Brooklyn. The two firms are co-locating to build on their shared values and interdisciplinary approaches to extend their collective work from coast to coast. With complementary expertise and skillsets, W + MIG offers architecture, landscape architecture, urban design, planning, communications, graphic design, and community engagement with an emphasis on linking and enhancing people and place.
With this new creative collaboration and a diverse array of fantastic projects on the boards, we’re seeking to fill positions for both a Junior Designer and a Mid-level Designer/Project Manager. As part of a tight-knit and diverse team, you will be creating bold, innovative, and equitable design solutions. To succeed, you will have the following qualifications:
- A Bachelor’s degree in landscape architecture (a Master’s degree and/or architectural training is a plus.)
- US residency, living nearby or willing to relocate to work in the Brooklyn, NY office with a hybrid schedule.
- Strong sense of design, excellent illustrative graphic skills, as well as written and verbal communication capabilities
- Ability to adapt and a willingness to pitch in and help others when needed
- Ability and desire to participate actively in marketing and business development and assist with creating proposals for prospective projects
- People-oriented, sharing our commitment to equity and inclusion, and able to develop collaborative, productive, and respectful relationships with community members, organizations, and partners.
- Desire to learn and grow along with our team and our clients in everything we do.
As a JUNIOR LEVEL DESIGNER, you will also have the following QUALIFICATIONS:
- Proficiency in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, AutoCAD, Sketchup and/or Rhino and Adobe Creative Suite. Experience in ArcGIS, Lumion, Revit and on-line digital collaboration tools is a plus.
- Interest and desire to grow into a Mid-Level Designer.
As a MID-LEVEL DESIGNER, you will also have the following QUALIFICATIONS:
- Experience working with landscape design teams along with demonstrated construction document and construction management experience.
- Ability to facilitate collaborative group discussions.
- Expert knowledge of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, AutoCAD, SketchUp and Adobe Creative Suite, as well as ArcGIS, Lumion, Revit, and/or Rhino. On-line digital collaboration tool expertise is a plus.
- Demonstrated experience managing public-sector projects, including maintaining compliance with project contracts, and maintaining schedules
- Ability to prepare and deliver effective public presentations, lead working meetings, speak easily and clearly in front of groups, and facilitate client and stakeholder meetings
- Interest and desire in growing as a W leader
Plant identification, hand drawing, a knack for baking or other hidden talents are a plus.
If either of these full-time, salaried positions sound like a fit for you, email your resume, portfolio, and a cover letter to Amy and Barbara at firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com, 10 MB max. We also appreciate referrals, so tell a friend or colleague about us.
W is committed to building a diverse team and is an equal opportunity employer; we encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply. We offer a comprehensive benefits program including vacation, sick leave, paid holidays, health insurance, and a 401K program. Our team enjoys a flexible work schedule, a rewarding work environment, and a creative atmosphere. Compensation is commensurate with skills and experience.
Number of Positions: