SWA/Balsley – Strategic Development Director
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2022
SWA/Balsley is seeking a full-time strategic development director for our award-winning New York studio of landscape architects, resiliency planners and urban designers. The strategic development director will lead a team of talented designers and place-makers in pursuit of high-quality commissions in the public and private realm and will foster new strategic connections and opportunities for the firm. These activities will include cross-fertilization and coordination with studio marketing directors from eight other studios, and representing the studio’s public face at conferences, panels and summits.
The director will work closely with studio principals, SWA’s corporate Marketing Director and Public Relations firm, and technical staff as well as with the office manager/marketing coordinator. Activities could include but are not limited to generating and reviewing lead opportunities, writing and compiling proposal or credential material and some data management. Responsible for identifying and interacting with prospective clients and representing the studio at industry events. The position requires an energetic, social self-starter who closely follows the landscape architecture and urban design world, is proactive, and a collaborative problem-solver with a background or passionate interest in landscape architecture and the public realm world. Excellent communication, social media, time management and organizational skills are essential.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Ten years of professional marketing and business development experience as director or deputy director in the landscape architecture, architecture, urban design or park advocacy fields, preferably based in NYC.
- A relevant bachelor’s degree in landscape architecture, marketing and urban design or a related combination of education and experience. Direct experience with the professionals and related organizations of landscape architecture, urban design, public open spaces and sustainability is a plus.
- Previous relationships with this design industry’s leaders and open space organizations.
- Proficiency with social media platforms of the industry and their optimization.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision, but function as part of an integrated team.
- Ability to produce high-quality documents under deadline pressure.
- Effective written, verbal, and interpersonal presentation communication skills.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite and Adobe Creative Suite, particularly InDesign.
- Proven ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team.
- Ability to adapt to fluctuating priorities and manage multiple deadlines.
New York, NY
Number of Positions: