Title: Specifications Writer
NYC Parks is an award-winning city agency that designs and builds public spaces for New Yorkers to connect, play and enjoy. These public spaces, representing over 30,000 acres, or 14% of the city’s land, encompass natural areas, parks, playgrounds, beaches, ball fields, basketball courts, athletic fields and pools. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. www.nyc.gov/parks
- Under direct supervision, serve as liaison to in-house Landscape Architects and Project Managers. In collaboration with Project Designers, research and write specifications and recommend appropriate materials and construction techniques.
- Perform field investigations to monitor performance of specified products.
- Assist in the preparation of the Parks Standard Detail Drawings on AutoCAD.
- Research and develop materials and methods of construction. Identify and test new potential products and technologies. Assist others in finding solutions to technical problems.
- Contribute to and maintain database of standard and custom specifications.
- Review consultant prepared technical specifications.
- Serve as a technical expert. Participate as a committee member of the American Society of Testing and Materials (ASTM), which includes voting on technical specifications and recommended test methods. Remain informed of requirements and guidelines promulgated by other governing bodies including U.S. Access Board, Consumer Product Safety Commission and U.S. Department of Justice.
- Assist in preparing price estimates for standard and custom items.
- Upload contract specifications to Contract Book Generator.
- A Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Landscape Architecture from an accredited college or university.
This position is exempt from NYC residency requirements.
- Excellent communication, verbal and writing skills.
- Ability to conduct research, solve problems and pay attention to technical details.
- Ability to read and interpret design and construction drawings and contract documents.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and AutoCAD.
- Excellent administrative and interpersonal skills.
- A driver license valid in New York State.
Salary: $50,000 – $58,000 plus excellent benefits
Apply by 10/25/2019
Please apply through www.nyc.gov/careers
- Go to nyc.gov/careers/search
- Search for Job ID#: 409667
For details about NYC Parks: www.nyc.gov/parks
References will be required upon request.