The mission of Forestry, Horticulture and Natural Resources (FHNR) is to protect, restore, expand and manage New York City’s natural spaces and green infrastructure to maximize their benefits and promote their value within and outside of the urban ecosystem. Major Responsibilities
- Under direction, with very great latitude for the exercise of independent judgment or action, serve as Senior Landscape Architect on projects of great design and technical complexity which have the potential to impact Agency Landscape Architectural operations and/or City infrastructure.
- Assign, supervise and review design and contract preparation performed by subordinate Landscape Architects on green infrastructure, ecological restoration and other and Forestry, Horticulture and Natural Resources capital projects.
- Prepare original proposals and reports of a complex nature.
- Provide assistance and support to both superiors and subordinates, with regard to complex and major landscape architectural matters. Conduct or direct significant portion of research on very complex and important landscape architectural matters.
- Present design plans to Deputy and Borough Commissioners, work with Capital Chiefs of Design and Construction, and provide information and solve design related problems. Qualification Requirements A valid New York State Registration as a Landscape Architect, and either:
- A Master’s degree in landscape architecture from an accredited college or university, accredited by regional, national, professional or
specialized agencies recognized as accrediting bodies by the U.S. Secretary of Education and by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) and three (3) years of full-time, satisfactory experience in landscape architectural work; or 2. Four (4) years of full-time, satisfactory experience in landscape architectural work.
NOTE: Current New York State Registration as a Landscape Architect must be maintained for the duration of your employment.
NOTE: Landscape Architects with out-of-state registration are welcome to apply provided that reciprocal New York State registration is obtained prior to hire.
NOTE: To be eligible for placement in Assignment Level II, individuals must have at least one year within the last three years of experience as a major contributor or a project leader on a complex project requiring additional and specific expertise in the disciplines needed to design or construct the project.
This position is exempt from NYC residency requirements. Preferred Skills/Qualifications 1. At least 3 years’ experience in managing process, projects, contracts and design staff. 2. Experience with interdisciplinary coordination during design (Architecture, Engineering, Planning, etc.). 3. Knowledge of any/all of the following specialized disciplines: green infrastructure, sustainable design, ecological restoration, urban
forestry, horticulture, urban design, ADA / universal design concepts. 4. Computer literacy, including knowledge of Word, Excel, Adobe CS4, Access, CAD and GIS. 5. A commitment to teamwork and an integrated approach to project delivery. 6. Driver license valid in New York State.
How to Apply Parks Employees: 1. From a Parks computer: Access Employee Self Service (ESS) from the Parks Intranet under Applications or use this link:
https://hrb.nycaps.nycnet/. Once in ESS, go to Recruiting then Careers and search for Job ID# 395272. Do not access ESS using nyc.gov/ess from a Parks computer.
Parks & City Employees: 2. From a Non-Parks computer: Access Employee Self Service (ESS) by going to nyc.gov/ess or use this link: https://a127-
ess.nyc.gov/. Once in ESS, go to Recruiting then Careers and search for Job ID# 395272.
Include your ERN and Job ID# 395272 on your cover letter and resume.
All other applicants: Go to nyc.gov/careers/search and search for Job ID# 395272.
POST DATE: 06/28/19 POST UNTIL: 07/22/19*
NOTE: All resumes must be received no later than the last day of the posting period. *Posting period extended to 07/22/19. Previous applicants are still under consideration and need not reapply. References will be required upon request. If you have any questions regarding this vacancy or require a reasonable accommodation during the application process, please call the Personnel Division at (212) 830-7851.
nyc.gov/parks MOVEMENT IN THE FACE OF CIVIL SERVICE LISTS IS PROHIBITED UNDER CIVIL SERVICE LAW.
THE CITY OF NEW YORK IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER TELECOMMUNICATIONS DEVICE FOR THE DEAF: (212) 504-4115