Grace Fuller Design is a New York-based studio for landscape design with a focus on upmarket residential and commercial assignments.
Established in 2019 by Grace Fuller, a former editor at Vogue and W magazines, the practice strives to design for beauty with an emphasis on stewardship of the environment. GFD aspires for the synthesis of all elements that comprise the character of a garden: the charm of a crooked tree; the way one moves through it; the light and air that fills it; the placid murmur of silence; the joy that it brings. In Luis Barragan’s words, “a garden, no matter what size, should enclose nothing else but the entire universe.”
We are looking for qualified Landscape Architect to join our practice as a Senior Designer. The ideal applicant will have strong CAD skills and 3+ year professional experience working on landscape design, with an emphasis on high-end residential and commercial projects. CLARB, BLA or MLA licensure, and a qualification from a leading university would be desirable.
Job Title: Senior Designer
Reporting to: Grace Fuller, Principal
- Assist in the drafting of client briefs
- Assist in the development of client proposals
- Prepare and develop where required, hand and CAD generated drawings, models, images and other documents relating to the design
- Research native plant groupings for the ecologically sound future of a sustainable garden
- Prepare and develop where required, plant lists, planting plans and schedules (in addition to post-planting and ‘minimal interference’ plant maintenance schedules)
- Assist where required in the co-ordination of the internal design team
- Take responsibility, where required, for specific areas of the design and project development
- Liaise, where appropriate, with members of the external design team and other associated organizations and companies
- Prepare written materials for bid documents, project texts, etc.
- Contribute, or otherwise assist, as required
Qualities and Skills Required
- Able to demonstrate ability to undertake the above responsibilities
- Legally able to work in the United States
- Ability to understand and formulate design decisions and present for discussion
- Ability to use a variety of media in the development of a design project
- Ability to work well under pressure, prioritize and meet deadlines efficiently
- Excellent organizational skills and familiarity with project management tools and methodologies
- Able to ensure that discretion is exercised when dealing with sensitive information and that appropriate confidentiality is maintained at all times
- Self-motivated and able to take responsibility
- Able to demonstrate initiative and a proactive approach to daily tasks
- Flexible attitude and good interpersonal skills and able to work independently and as part of an effective team
- Ability to use some the following: Dynascape, Adobe Applications, InDesign, (Revit), Photoshop, Microsoft Office suite
- Able to build good relationships at all levels, internally and externally
- Understanding of the landscape architect’s role in the co-ordination and integration of project information and management
- Understanding of financial aspects of running a design project on time and on budget
This description reflects the core activities of the role but is not intended to be all-inclusive and other duties within the role may be required in addition to changes in the emphasis of duties as required from time to time. There is a requirement for the post holder to recognize this and adopt a flexible approach to work. Job descriptions will be reviewed regularly and where necessary revised in accordance with organizational needs. Any major changes will be discussed with the post holder.