NYC Parks – Senior Project Manager for Design
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2022
NYC Parks is an award-winning city agency that designs and builds public spaces for New Yorkers to connect, play and enjoy. NYC Parks manages over 30,000 acres, 14% of the city’s land, encompassing natural areas, parks, playgrounds, beaches, ballfields, basketball courts, athletic fields and pools.
The Landscape Architecture unit in the Capital Division is the creative force that imagines and defines the aesthetics and use of new and refurbished public spaces. These designs impact neighborhood growth, public health and fun in communities throughout the five boroughs of New York City.
• Under direction, with very great latitude for the exercise of independent judgment or action, work with the Chief of Landscape Architecture to develop and implement design guidelines and best practices for a wide range of topics and Parks (e.g., storm and climate resilience, planting, historic parks, waterfronts, playground, dog runs, skate parks) in order to streamline the design process and promote both design innovation and quality control.
• Participate in and fill in for the Chief on high-level agency, interagency and external meetings, and coordinate follow-up action.
• Spearhead and manage special projects and oversee staff working on these projects.
• Assist the agency’s Public Design Commission Liaison and Design Analyst with scheduling internal design reviews and coordinating agency submissions as needed.
• Oversee the continuous improvement of the quality and consistency of schematic design and contract documents through the development of standards, assessment of staff resources, technology and training needs.
• Ensure changes to design standards are implemented smoothly and coordinate training as needed.
• Create presentations on design and quality control and best practice related topics for design staff, outside stakeholders and professional conferences.
• Approve project tasks required in the Capital Projects’ project tracking system.
• Evaluate design project proposals submitted by NYC Parks’ Design Excellence consultants.
• Draft policy directives and other internal correspondence. Formulate responses to press and public inquiries.
• Recruit and interview candidates for Landscape Architecture positions on Capital Projects Design Teams.
A valid New York State Registration as a Landscape Architect, and either:
1. A Master’s degree in landscape architecture from an accredited college or university, accredited by regional, national, professional or specialized agencies recognized as accrediting bodies by the U.S. Secretary of Education and by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) and three (3) years of full-time, satisfactory experience in landscape architectural work; or
2. Four (4) years of full-time, satisfactory experience in landscape architectural work.
1. Current New York State Registration as a Landscape Architect must be maintained for the duration of your employment.
2. Landscape Architects with out-of-state registration are welcome to apply provided that reciprocal New York State registration is obtained prior to hire.
3. To be eligible for placement in Assignment Level III, individuals must have at least one year within the last three years of experience as a major contributor or a project leader on a complex project requiring additional and specific expertise in the disciplines needed to design or construct the project.
This position is exempt from NYC residency requirements.
- Familiarity with New York City Government and NYC Parks policies, procedures, Park maintenance constraints and best practice approach to design.
- At least 5 years of experience leading complex design projects; 10 years preferred.
- Skill in solving design problems in efficient and aesthetic ways, with ease of construction and maintenance in mind.
- Strong writing and editing skills. Demonstrated ability to write clearly and compellingly about design.
- Excellent design, graphic and computer skills. Proficiency in PowerPoint, Photoshop, InDesign and Sketch-up.
- Strong communication skills including public speaking and experience translating between technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Experience with problem solving, researching, and creating presentations and clear written documents on tight deadlines.
- Great time management skills and the ability to stay organized while juggling multiple projects.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a commitment
Apply by 09/30/22
For external applicants, please apply through www.nyc.gov/careers
- Go to nyc.gov/careers/search
- Search for Job ID#: 548723
For details about NYC Parks: www.nyc.gov/parks
References will be required upon request.
THE CITY OF NEW YORK IS AN INCLUSIVE EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER COMMITTED TO RECRUITING AND RETAINING A DIVERSE WORKFORCE AND PROVIDING A WORK ENVIRONMENT THAT IS FREE FROM DISCRIMINATION AND HARASSMENT BASED UPON ANY LEGALLY PROTECTED STATUS OR PROTECTED CHARACTERISTIC, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO AN INDIVIDUAL’S SEX, RACE, COLOR, ETHNICITY, NATIONAL ORIGIN, AGE, RELIGION, DISABILITY, SEXUAL ORIENTATION, VETERAN STATUS, GENDER IDENTITY, OR PREGNANCY.
TELECOMMUNICATIONS DEVICE FOR THE DEAF: (212) 504-4115
$90,114 - $103,631
Olmsted Center, Queens, NY
Number of Positions: