NYC Parks: Natural Resources Junior Designer
Posted: Friday, April 28, 2023
NYC Parks is the steward of nearly 30,000 acres of land — 14 percent of New York City — including more than 5,000 individual properties ranging from Coney Island Beach and Central Park to community gardens and Greenstreets. The Division of Environment and Planning aims to protect, restore, and expand New York City’s green spaces and natural areas to maximize their benefits for environmental and community health and resilience. The Natural Resources Group within Environment and Planning manages over 10,000 acres of natural areas across the five boroughs, including forests, grasslands, and wetlands, and has secured tens of millions of dollars of grant from state, federal and private sources over the past decades to fund the restoration and management across these ecosystems.
Perks – Earn vacation and sick leave every month and receive free membership to our recreation centers.
- Under supervision, perform entry-level landscape architectural work for the Natural Resources Capital Design & Construction Team.
- Work with staff scientists to determine design solutions which maximize ecological function and or reduce ecological impacts.
- Conduct site investigations to evaluate drainage area, flow, soil permeability, groundwater and other site conditions to determine feasibility of wetland restoration and stormwater green infrastructure, and other natural resource
- Using Adobe Suite and other software, prepare suitable graphics and presentations to communicate design intent.
- Attend and take notes during presentations of projects to internal and external stakeholders.
- Using AutoCAD and other software, assist in the preparation of contract drawings, specifications, estimates of cost and quantities.
- Assess and monitor progress of construction by reviewing and approving requests for Information, submittals, and shop drawing, and conducting site inspections for quality assurance during construction.
- Assist landscape architects and project managers with the above tasks.
A Bachelor of Science degree in landscape architecture or a Bachelor or a Master of Landscape Architecture from an accredited college or university.
This position is exempt from NYC residency requirements.
- Strong landscape architect design skills.
- Interest in interdisciplinary coordination during design (Ecology, Hydrology, Environmental Engineering, Planning)
- Knowledge of any/all of the following specialized disciplines: green infrastructure, sustainable design, urban forestry, horticulture, urban design, environmental science, environmental engineering, stormwater permitting and compliance.
- Computer literacy, including knowledge of MS Suite, Adobe Suite, CAD, GIS.
- A commitment to teamwork and an integrated approach to project delivery.
- Driver license valid in New York State.
Fees: Hired candidates will be subject to a processing fee of $68.00. Hired candidates who are not currently employed by the City will be subject to an $88.25 background check fee.
For more information and to apply, email resume and cover letter to:
Matthew Donham at firstname.lastname@example.org
New hire $28.14/hour* *pending ratification, rate will go up May 26, 2023
Babybridge Park, Long Island City, Queens
Number of Positions: