NYC Parks – Director of Landscape Architecture
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2023
You will enjoy the camaraderie found at Parks while working for the public good. NYC Parks offers competitive pay and a generous benefits package that includes pension, excellent health benefits, competitive vacation/sick days, and a healthy work-life balance.
- Working under a Borough Team Leader, manage a design studio of landscape designers. Oversee implementation of the borough’s Capital design program valued at $50 million.
- Assign projects to in-house staff or consultants and schedule completions to meet team targets. Monitor design progress and staff compliance with project milestone dates and present status updates to commissioner-level staff on a regular basis.
- Direct and supervise Senior Landscape Architects and the design process to ensure projects have well-thought-out designs and remain on schedule and within budget. Coordinate with support units and consultants to prioritize workload to ensure schedules are met.
- Ensure documents are submitted to oversight regulatory agencies to obtain timely approvals. Review graphic and written design documents to ensure documents effectively convey project goals.
- Work with the Borough Commissioner, Maintenance and Operations staff and other stakeholders to provide information, input and assessment of projects.
- Represent the Agency at meetings with outside organizations, community boards, community interest groups and other city and state agencies.
- Prepare analyses for potential future projects, including cost estimates and conceptual designs.
- Use, develop and/or implement new technologies, procedures and systems for tracking and reporting on project milestones and budgets.
- Assist with hiring, training and administrative oversight of design personnel.
A valid New York State Registration as a Landscape Architect; and
- A master’s degree in landscape architecture (which must be obtained by January 31, 2015) from an accredited college or university, accredited by regional, national, professional or specialized agencies recognized as accrediting bodies by the U.S. Secretary of Education and by the Council of Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) and three (3) years of full-time, satisfactory experience in landscape architectural work; or
- A valid New York State Registration as a Landscape Architect; and Four (4) years full-time, satisfactory experience in landscape architectural work.
- Current New York State Registration as a Landscape Architect must be maintained for the duration of your employment.
- Landscape Architects with out-of-state registration are welcome to apply provided that reciprocal New York State registration is obtained prior to hire.
- To be eligible for placement in Assignment Level III, individuals must have at least one year within the last three years of experience as a major contributor or a project leader on a complex project requiring additional and specific expertise in the disciplines needed to design or construct the project.
This position is exempt from NYC residency requirements.
Preference will be given to applicants who are current permanent Landscape Architects or who filed and took the most recent Landscape Architect Civil Service Examination (Exam No. 3520 or 3033). The filing period started October 5, 2022 and ended October 25, 2022.
- At least five years’ experience in managing design processes, projects, contracts and staff that includes experience with interdisciplinary coordination during the design phase.
- Highly articulate with the ability to multi-task and prioritize competing agendas effectively.
- Advanced planning and design skills, with a solid understanding of urban design principles and technical production.
- LEED certification and a knowledge of any/all of the following specialized disciplines: ecological restoration, historic preservation, conservation, ADA/universal design concepts, horticulture and urban design.
- Excellent and effective graphic and written communication, interpersonal and organizational skills.
- A commitment to teamwork and encouraging professional growth in team members, and an integrated approach to project delivery.
- A driver license valid in New York State.
Salary: $110,000 – $118,000 plus excellent benefits
Work Location: Olmsted Center, Queens
Apply by: 02/03/2023
For external applicants, please apply through www.nyc.gov/careers
- Go to nyc.gov/careers/search
- Search for Job ID#: 567257
For details about NYC Parks: www.nyc.gov/parks
References will be required upon request.
THE CITY OF NEW YORK IS AN INCLUSIVE EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER COMMITTED TO RECRUITING AND RETAINING A DIVERSE WORKFORCE AND PROVIDING A WORK ENVIRONMENT THAT IS FREE FROM DISCRIMINATION AND HARASSMENT BASED UPON ANY LEGALLY PROTECTED STATUS OR PROTECTED CHARACTERISTIC, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO AN INDIVIDUAL’S SEX, RACE, COLOR, ETHNICITY, NATIONAL ORIGIN, AGE, RELIGION, DISABILITY, SEXUAL ORIENTATION, VETERAN STATUS, GENDER IDENTITY, OR PREGNANCY.
TELECOMMUNICATIONS DEVICE FOR THE DEAF: (212) 504-4115
$110,000 - $118,000 plus excellent benefits
Olmsted Center, Queens, NY
Number of Positions: