NYC Parks – Deputy Director of Landscape Architecture
Posted: Friday, July 29, 2022
Title: Deputy Director of Landscape Architecture – 2 positions
NYC Parks manages over 30,000 acres, 14% of the city’s land, encompassing more than 5,000 individual properties. Our diverse set of assets includes recreational facilities, nature centers, historic buildings and structures, golf courses, athletic fields, playgrounds, tennis courts, public pools, comfort stations, retaining walls and nearly 14 miles of beaches.
The Landscape Architecture unit in the Capital Division is the creative force that imagines and defines the aesthetics and usage of new and refurbished public spaces. These designs impact neighborhood growth, public health and fun in communities throughout the five boroughs of New York City. Selected candidates will have the opportunity to work on a wide gamut of assignments from a local park refurbishment to a complete redesign of newly acquired properties.
NYC Parks is one of the country’s largest employers of landscape architects. You will enjoy the camaraderie found at Parks while working for the public good. NYC Parks offers competitive pay and a generous benefits package that includes pension, excellent health benefits, competitive vacation/sick days and a healthy work-life balance.
- Under direction of the Director of Landscape Architecture, with very great latitude for the exercise of independent judgment or action, supervise a group of landscape designers within a borough team, including administrative oversight and disciplinary process when necessary.
- Assist the Director of Landscape Architecture with assigning projects to in-house staff or consultants and schedule completions to meet team targets.
- Ensure all projects have well-thought-out designs and are completed within budget and in accordance with the schedule as approved by the Deputy Commissioner’s Office. This will require project tracking and reporting as well as workload prioritization for all staff reports to ensure schedules are met.
- Review contract drawings and specifications prepared by Capital staff in accordance with the established project schedule to ensure work meets agency and community goals and all applicable interagency codes, regulations, filings and approvals.
- Represent the Agency at meetings and present projects to agency stakeholders, other governmental agencies and departments, contractors and their representatives, consultants, community members and the general public. This includes presenting internally at Commissioner-level meetings as needed and in cases when a direct report is absent in order to maintain project schedule.
- Work with the Borough Commissioner, Maintenance and Operations staff and other stakeholders to provide information, input and assessment of projects.
- Sign and seal contract documents and related applications for agencies having jurisdiction.
- Maintain quality assurance and quality control.
- Assist with hiring and training of landscape design personnel.
- In special cases, serve as Project Manager on a Capital portfolio as approved by the Deputy Commissioner’s Office.
- May represent the Director of Landscape Architecture and perform all associated tasks, including supervision of the entire team of landscape designers, as needed.
A valid New York State Registration as a Landscape Architect, and either:
- A Master’s degree in landscape architecture from an accredited college or university, accredited by regional, national, professional or specialized agencies recognized as accrediting bodies by the U.S. Secretary of Education and by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) and three (3) years of full-time, satisfactory experience in landscape architectural work; or
- Four (4) years of full-time, satisfactory experience in landscape architectural work.
- Current New York State Registration as a Landscape Architect must be maintained for the duration of your employment.
- Landscape Architects with out-of-state registration are welcome to apply provided that reciprocal New York State registration is obtained prior to hire.
- To be eligible for placement in Assignment Level III, individuals must have at least one year within the last three years of experience as a major contributor or a project leader on a complex project requiring additional and specific expertise in the disciplines needed to design or construct the project.
This position is exempt from NYC residency requirements.
- At least five years of experience serving as the Capital lead on a complex design portfolio, including leading a multidisciplinary team of professionals or managing consultant contracts.
- Knowledge of the following specialized disciplines: sustainable/ “green” design, ecological restoration, historic preservation, conservation, ADA/universal design concepts, horticulture, urban design and public art.
- Strong design skills and the ability to communicate design concepts in graphic and written form.
- Proficiency in Photoshop, PowerPoint and SketchUp or an alternative 3D rendering software.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and organizational skills.
- A commitment to teamwork and an integrated approach to project delivery.
- A driver license valid in New York State.
Salary: $105,000 – $110,000 plus excellent benefits
Work Location: Olmsted Center, Queens
Apply by 08/19/22
For external applicants, please apply through www.nyc.gov/careers
- Go to nyc.gov/careers/search
- Search for Job ID#: 541816
For details about NYC Parks: www.nyc.gov/parks
References will be required upon request.
THE CITY OF NEW YORK IS AN INCLUSIVE EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER COMMITTED TO RECRUITING AND RETAINING A DIVERSE WORKFORCE AND PROVIDING A WORK ENVIRONMENT THAT IS FREE FROM DISCRIMINATION AND HARASSMENT BASED UPON ANY LEGALLY PROTECTED STATUS OR PROTECTED CHARACTERISTIC, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO AN INDIVIDUAL’S SEX, RACE, COLOR, ETHNICITY, NATIONAL ORIGIN, AGE, RELIGION, DISABILITY, SEXUAL ORIENTATION, VETERAN STATUS, GENDER IDENTITY, OR PREGNANCY.
TELECOMMUNICATIONS DEVICE FOR THE DEAF: (212) 504-4115
$105,000 - $110,000 plus excellent benefits
Olmsted Center, Queens
Number of Positions: