NYC Parks – Assistant Landscape Architect
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2022
Title: Assistant Landscape Architect
NYC Parks is an award-winning city agency that designs and builds public spaces for New Yorkers to connect, play and enjoy. These public spaces, representing 30,000 acres or 14% of the city’s land, encompass natural areas, parks, playgrounds, beaches, ballfields, basketball courts, athletic fields and pools.
The Landscape Architecture unit in the Capital Division is the creative force that imagines and defines the aesthetics and usage of new and refurbished public spaces. These designs impact neighborhood growth, public health and fun in communities throughout the five boroughs of New York City. Selected candidates will have the opportunity to work on a wide gamut of assignments from a local park refurbishment to a complete redesign of newly acquired properties.
NYC Parks is one of the country’s largest employers of landscape architects. You will enjoy the camaraderie found at Parks while working for the public good. NYC Parks offers competitive pay and a generous benefits package that includes pension, excellent health benefits, competitive vacation/sick days and a healthy work-life balance.
- Under supervision, perform landscape architectural work of moderate difficulty and responsibility for the Capital Projects Division. This includes the shepherding of Parks Capital work from project start through construction completion.
- Prepare landscape architectural contract drawings, specifications and estimates of quantities.
- Investigate and propose solutions to problems of grading, spatial organization and site utilization.
- Assist or lead the design development of existing conditions analysis, landscape plans and proposed additions.
- Assess and monitor progress of construction by reviewing and approving shop drawings and resolving design conflicts.
- A Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in landscape architecture from an accredited college or university, accredited by regional, national, professional or specialized agencies recognized as accrediting bodies by the U.S. Secretary of Education and by the Council of Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) and one year of full-time satisfactory experience in landscape architectural work; or
- A valid New York Registration as a Landscape Architect.
Note: Landscape Architects with out-of-state registration are welcome to apply provided that reciprocal New York State registration is obtained prior to hire.
This position is exempt from NYC residency requirements.
- Proven ability as a contributing team member on landscape architectural projects.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, organizational abilities and self-motivation.
- Portfolio demonstrates proficiency in AutoCAD, Photoshop, Illustrator and 3D Rendering (link on resume to digital portfolio preferred).
- Adept at creating presentations in InDesign and PowerPoint.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel.
Salary: $57,078 – $65,640 plus excellent benefits
Work Location: Queens
Apply by 08/12/22
For external applicants, please apply through www.nyc.gov/careers
- Search for Job ID#: 540346
For details about NYC Parks: www.nyc.gov/parks
References will be required upon request.
Salary: $57,078 - $65,640 plus excellent benefits
Queens, New York
Number of Positions: