New York City Department of Parks & Recreation – Assistant Landscape Architect
Posted: Friday, April 14, 2023
The Landscape Architecture unit in the Capital Division is the creative force that imagines and defines the aesthetics and usage of new and refurbished public spaces. These designs impact neighborhood growth, public health and fun in communities throughout the five boroughs of New York City. Selected candidates will have the opportunity to work on a wide gamut of assignments from a local park refurbishment to a complete redesign of newly acquired properties.
NYC Parks is one of the country’s largest employers of landscape architects. You will enjoy the camaraderie found at Parks while working for the public good. NYC Parks offers competitive pay and a generous benefits package that includes pension, excellent health benefits, competitive vacation/sick days and a healthy work-life balance.
• Under supervision, perform landscape architectural work of moderate difficulty and responsibility for the Capital Projects Division. This includes the shepherding of Parks Capital work from project start through construction completion.
• Prepare landscape architectural contract drawings, specifications and estimates of quantities.
• Investigate and propose solutions to problems of grading, spatial organization and site utilization.
• Assist or lead the design development of existing conditions analysis, landscape plans and proposed additions.
• Assess and monitor progress of construction by reviewing and approving shop drawings and resolving design conflicts.
Minimum Qual Requirements
1. A Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in landscape architecture from an accredited college or university, accredited by regional, national, professional or specialized agencies recognized as accrediting bodies by the U.S. Secretary of Education and by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) and one year of full-time satisfactory experience in landscape architectural work; or
2. A valid New York State Registration as a Landscape Architect.
1. Proven ability as a contributing team member on landscape architectural projects.
2. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, organizational abilities and self-motivation.
4. Adept at creating presentations in InDesign and PowerPoint
5. Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel.
NOTE: All resumes must be received no later than the last day of the posting period. References will be required upon request.
*Posting period extended to 05/12/2023. Previous applicants to Job ID# 540346 are still under consideration and need not reapply.
MOVEMENT IN THE FACE OF CIVIL SERVICE LISTS IS PROHIBITED UNDER CIVIL SERVICE LAW.
Note: Landscape Architects with out-of-state registration are welcome to apply provided that reciprocal New York State registration is obtained prior to hire.
1. From a Parks computer: Access Employee Self Service (ESS) from the Parks Intranet under Applications or use this link: https://hrb.nycaps.nycnet/. Once in ESS, go to Careers and search for Job ID# 583013. Do not access ESS using nyc.gov/ess from a Parks computer.
Parks & City Employees:
2. From a Non-Parks computer: Access Employee Self Service (ESS) by going to nyc.gov/ess or use this link: https://a127-ess.nyc.gov/. Once in ESS, go to Careers and search for Job ID# 583013.
Include your ERN and Job ID# 583013 on your cover letter and resume.
All other applicants:
Go to nyc.gov/careers/search and search for Job ID# 583013.
This position is also open to qualified persons with a disability who are eligible for the 55-a Program. Please indicate at the top of your resume and cover letter that you would like to be considered for the position through the 55-a Program.
Olmsted Center, Queens
This position is exempt from NYC residency requirements.
$ 57,078.00 - $ 65,640.00
Olmsed Center, Queens, NY
Number of Positions: