Title: Landscape Architect II
NYC Parks is an award-winning city agency that designs and builds public spaces for New Yorkers to connect, play and enjoy. These public spaces, representing 30,000 acres or 14% of the city’s land, encompass natural areas, parks, playgrounds, beaches, ballfields, basketball courts, athletic fields and pools.
The Landscape Architecture unit in the Capital Division is the creative force that imagines and defines the aesthetics and usage of new and refurbished public spaces. These designs impact neighborhood growth, public health and fun in communities throughout the five boroughs of New York City. You will have the opportunity to work as the lead or independent designer on a wide gamut of assignments from a local park refurbishment to a complete redesign of newly acquired properties.
The ideal candidates are collaborative in style and have the ability to effectively listen and balance many viewpoints and needs in a design. Working in a multi-disciplinary team setting with other city agencies and disciplines (e.g., engineers, architects, procurement), the successful candidates are champions of their portfolios and can troubleshoot and problem-solve to realize projects.
NYC Parks is one of the country’s largest employers of landscape architects. You will enjoy the camaraderie found at Parks while working for the public good. NYC Parks offers competitive pay and a generous benefits package that includes pension, excellent health benefits, competitive vacation/sick days and a healthy work-life balance.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. www.nyc.gov/parks
- Under direction, serve as lead designer for landscape architecture projects of advanced complexity and provide support on other design projects to ensure projects are completed on time and on budget. Provide project-based oversight to junior staff on design projects.
- Investigate and recommend solutions to relevant problems of grading, spatial organization and site utilization. Prepare suitable graphics and presentations to communicate design intent. Present projects to other internal and external stakeholders.
- Using AutoCAD and other software, prepare and/or manage the preparation of contract drawings. Develop specifications, cost estimates and estimates of quantities for the proposed work.
- Review sites and designs with construction and maintenance personnel. Obtain all necessary approvals for proposed designs. Monitor progress of construction by reviewing and approving shop drawings. Conduct occasional site inspections for quality assurance.
A valid New York State Registration as a Landscape Architect, and either:
- A Master’s degree in landscape architecture from an accredited college or university, accredited by regional, national, professional or specialized agencies recognized as accrediting bodies by the U.S. Secretary of Education and by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) and three (3) years of full-time, satisfactory experience in landscape architectural work; or
- Four (4) years of full-time, satisfactory experience in landscape architectural work.
- NOTE: Current New York State Registration as a Landscape Architect must be maintained for the duration of your employment.
- NOTE: To be eligible for placement in Assignment Level II, individuals must have at least one year within the last three years of experience as a major contributor or a project leader on a complex project requiring additional and specific expertise in the disciplines needed to design or construct the project.
- NOTE: Landscape Architects with out-of-state registration are welcome to apply provided that reciprocal New York State registration is obtained prior to hire.
- Proven design ability in landscape architectural work.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Knowledge of sustainability, resilience and universal design principles.
- Portfolio demonstrates strong skills in AutoCAD, Photoshop, Illustrator and 3D Rendering (link on resume to digital portfolio preferred).
- Adept at creating presentations in InDesign and PowerPoint. Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel.
- At least one year leading a multidisciplinary team of professionals.
- A driver license valid in New York State.
Salary: $92,640 plus excellent benefits
Posted Until 2/28/20
Work Location: Olmsted Center, Queens
For external applicants, please apply through www.nyc.gov/careers
- Search for Job ID# 431228
- For details about NYC Parks: www.nyc.gov/parks