Landscape Architect for Forestry, Horticulture and Natural Resources
Posted: Thursday, December 5, 2019
NYC Parks is an award-winning city agency that designs and builds public spaces for New Yorkers to connect, play and enjoy. These public spaces, representing 30,000 acres or 14% of the city’s land, encompass natural areas, parks, playgrounds, beaches, ballfields, basketball courts, athletic fields and pools.
The successful candidate has proven design experience and excellent project management skills. The ideal candidate is effective at visually and verbally communicating design ideas throughout the project process and is able to actively listen, balance and incorporate many viewpoints into the design. A team player and a champion of their portfolio, the successful candidate provides project-based oversight to junior staff and can troubleshoot and problem solve to realize projects.
NYC Parks is one of the country’s largest employers of landscape architects. You will enjoy the camaraderie found at Parks while working for the public good. NYC Parks offers competitive pay and a generous benefits package that includes pension, excellent health benefits, competitive vacation/sick days and a healthy work-life balance. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. www.nyc.gov/parks.
The mission of Forestry, Horticulture and Natural Resources (FHNR) is to protect, restore, expand and manage New York City’s natural spaces and green infrastructure to maximize their benefits and promote their value within and outside of the urban ecosystem.
- Serve as Senior Landscape Architect in the Green Infrastructure Unit on projects with design and technical complexity which have the potential to impact Agency Landscape Architectural operations and/or City infrastructure.
- Develop stormwater green infrastructure and other designs in parklands and street right-of-ways; prepare construction documents, and oversee construction of these features.
- Assign, supervise and review design and contract preparation performed by subordinate Landscape Architects on green infrastructure, ecological restoration and other and Forestry, Horticulture and Natural Resources capital projects.
- Manage multiple consultant design contracts for stormwater green infrastructure and other ecological restoration designs.
- Review drainage and engineering structures and coordinate closely with engineering staff and borough operations to help ensure function and feasible design development.
- Provide assistance and support to both superiors and subordinates, on landscape architectural and stormwater management design, permitting and construction issues.
- Present design plans to Deputy and Borough Commissioners, work with Capital Chiefs of Design and Construction, and provide information and solve design related problems.
$80,557 - $92,640
Number of Positions: