Introduction to SWA/Balsley:
Join SWA/Balsley to leverage your emerging design & technical expertise into growth and leadership opportunities beyond NYC and into domestic and international projects of all types and scales.
SWA/Balsley is actively seeking a creative, highly skilled Entry-Level Landscape Designer for immediate employment in the award-winning New York City Studio in NoMad. SWA/Balsley has evolved from Thomas Balsley Associates into a studio whose collaborative environment and philosophy places a high value on design contribution at all phases of a project’s development. SWA/Balsley’s portfolio has emphasis on meaningful, resilient, and sustainable urban public realm projects, such as parks, waterfronts, landscape infrastructure, urban design, and master plans.
In collaboration with studio leadership, the candidate will work at all stages to support the execution of projects in New York City as well as nationally and internationally. This is a unique opportunity to help shape a new dynamic studio, develop a robust portfolio of built work of the highest design caliber, and additionally engage with SWA – the largest landscape architecture firm in the US with a unique ‘design-first’ reputation – and its firm-wide Design and Field Groups whose purpose is to share the vast knowledge and resources acquired over decades of practice by eight offices worldwide.
About the position:
SWA/Balsley is seeking an exceptionally competent and highly motivated entry level candidate with 0-2 years of professional experience. This is a promising opportunity for a recent graduate who aspires to contribute to and thrive within a studio practice that works both locally and internationally and is empowered by a collaborative and congenial office setting.
This role includes:
- Design and design support with input and critiques at all project phases
- 3D modeling & rendering
- Producing presentation graphics and presentations
- Assisting in preparation of construction drawings/documents, specifications, and cost estimates
- Attending and participating in meetings
- Working with and learning from senior designers on a collaborative team
- Grow with a new firm with a national design reputation.
- SWA/Balsley places equal design value on all phases and facets of work.
- Extraordinary growth potential within SWA/Balsley and the affiliate SWA.
- Opportunities to cross-fertilize with SWA’s eight other studios across the US and abroad.
- Unparalleled benefits package unique to SWA Group including fully funded bonuses, profit sharing, employee stock ownership, full 401k match and generous health insurance.
- Work in the vibrant and centrally located Nomad neighborhood of NYC.
About SWA/Balsley and SWA Group:
SWA/Balsley evolved from Thomas Balsley Associates whose work has earned national and international reputation for award-winning public parks, plazas, and waterfronts designed to the highest standards of social, cultural, and environmental resiliency. SWA/Balsley notable projects include Riverside Park South, Peggy Rockefeller Plaza, Hunter’s Point South and Gantry Plaza Parks, Burj Khalifa, San Jacinto Plaza, Curtis Hixon Park, Perk Park, Osaka World Trade Center, and 51 Astor Place. Our affiliate, SWA Group, is a landscape architecture, urban design and planning firm, with eight locations worldwide—Houston, Dallas, Los Angeles, Laguna Beach, San Francisco, Sausalito, Shanghai, and an affiliate office in New York, SWA/Balsley and 30 principals throughout.
SWA works to develop complete designers throughout their careers versed in concept design through construction, eventually specializing according to their strengths and talents. SWA hires people trained in landscape architecture, architecture, planning, and urban design. SWA is an equal opportunity employer.
As a 60 year old employee-owned company, SWA has some of the best employee benefits in the industry. Profit sharing, Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP) contributions, and bonuses are additional compensation to competitive salaries. This adds to full medical coverage, dental insurance, emergency medical and travel assistance, pre-tax commuter checks, paid time off (vacation, sick, holiday), 401K matching contribution to your retirement plan, supplemental paid parental leave, reimbursement of testing for licensure, and H1B sponsorship in the U.S. where applicable.
- Accredited Degree in Landscape Architecture or Architecture
- Strong problem solving, critical thinking, and analytical skills
- Attention to detail and organization
- Strong communication skills (written and verbal)
- Effective time management skills
- Positive attitude and sense of accountability
- Proficiency in:
- AutoCAD 2014+
- Adobe Creative Suite (Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop, esp.)
- Microsoft Office
- 3D modeling (SketchUp or Rhino)
- ArcMap/ ArcGIS
- Bluebeam Revu
- Hand sketching
- Prior professional experience in an office setting
- Portfolio (PDF, 20MB max.)
- Resume/CV (Word or PDF)
- Contact info for 2-3 references
- Cover letter
Send materials in PDF format to [email protected]. We will carefully consider your application during our initial screening and will contact you if you are selected for an interview in person or by video-conference.