Assistant Landscape Architect – Prospect Park Alliance
Posted: Wednesday, October 13, 2021
The Assistant Landscape Architect manages and designs capital landscape improvement projects including the coordination of designs for fundraising initiatives as well as pro-bono projects that support neighboring communities.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS / KEY JOB OUTCOMES
- Gather historical and ecological site data to inform, identify, and assess site uses and constraints.
- Prepare informed design studies and presentation drawings for multiple stakeholder and public agency approvals.
- Produce contract drawings and specifications for project milestones.
- Solicit design material estimates and track consultant milestones. Coordinate work of consultants in developing plans and specifications and consult with other professionals as needed.
- Review and adjust cost estimates during design to meet budgets accordingly.
- Review submittals, make field inspections, and report to supervisor concerning project progress during construction administration.
- Work collaboratively with the Resident Engineer to bring the project to successful built completion.
- May supervise interns and direct volunteers
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with consultants, contractors, architects, and other professionals at multiple NYC agencies.
Performs other job-related duties and functions as assigned
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Bachelors and/or Master’s degree in Landscape Architecture or other related field
- A minimum of (3) years’ relevant work experience in landscape architecture landscape design projects in public environments
- A valid, unexpired Driver’s License
COMPETENCIES (Knowledge, Skills & Personal/Behavioral Attributes)
- Passion for the Alliance Mission & Core Values: A passion for public parks and environmental conservation combined with a commitment to treating others with respect, appreciating individual differences and embracing the values of diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Ethics & Integrity: Earns the trust and respect of others through a consistent commitment to integrity, honesty and professionalism in all interactions.
- Landscape Design & Knowledge: Proficient in designing functional outdoor spaces, by drawing plans and selecting plants that are native and appropriate to the Northeast. Proper application of plants, soils and natural features in a variety of landscaping situations. Characteristics and requirements of various plant life and construction materials and methods suitable for program projects. Proficient in plant identification for northeast US region.
- Landscape Quality: Recognize landscapes and/or places as assets with the potential to improve health and wellbeing. Adopts the principles of healthy places that improve the physical aspects of the landscape (air, water, woodlands and soil quality). Promote quality interventions that integrate both the function and identity of a landscape and/or place, putting land, water, drainage, energy, community, economy, infrastructure and other such resources to the best possible use.
- Sustainability & Resistance: Apply the principles of social, economic and environmental sustainability to landscape projects. Fosters the capacity of landscapes and/or places to survive, adapt and grow under changing conditions and challenges to their physical, social, economic and technical systems and infrastructure.
- Health and Safety: Comply with relevant health and safety legislation and regulation and organizational policies. Assesses risk including the identification of hazards and implementation of control measures; manages own safety and that of others.
- Self-Management: Ability to work independently or as a member of a team, ability to be detailed-oriented and consistently accurate, ability to manage stress effectively in a fast-paced environment. Cooperative, personable, open-minded personal outlook needed
- Communication: Strong oral and written communication skills. Ability to communicate with individuals both internally and externally and ability to speak across a range of technical issues.
- Organizing, Planning & Multi-tasking: Proven ability to set priorities or deliver on priorities set by supervisor, meet deadlines and multi-task with minimal supervision. Proven ability to coordinate, organize and carry out most assignments in accordance with standard practices, instructions or previous training.
- Collaboration & Teamwork: Committed to working in collaboration with others, promoting cooperation and commitment to others and being a positive team contributor.
- Technology: Proficient with automated technologies that support areas of responsibility including G-Suite, Autocad, Adobe Creative Suite, Rhino or other 3D modeling software..
WORKING CONDITIONS & PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- Work is partly in the field which subjects the employee to various external elements including potentially adverse weather conditions
- Requires operating a motor vehicle; standing for intermittent periods of time; use of a desktop, laptop or video display terminal and identifying and distinguishing colors and shades of color
- Requires routine physical movements with limited physical exertion
- Requires communicating information with co-workers, stakeholders and/or the public; reading correspondence, instructions and/or technical documents; writing correspondence and/or reports and filling in forms
- This position requires full vaccination from COVID-19 on or before the start of employment.
Diversity Makes Us Stronger Together: Prospect Park Alliance serves park users of all socio-economic and cultural backgrounds and strives to reflect this diversity throughout our operations and in our leadership, staff, stakeholders and supporters. We know that by creating an equitable and inclusive workplace built on mutual respect and the appreciation of difference, our employees will feel safe to express themselves, voice their opinions and work together to find common ground and solutions. Integral to this vision is our longstanding commitment to provide equal employment opportunity for all employees and applicants for employment.
$55 to $60k
Number of Positions:
People + Culture