Join Audubon for a virtual half-day workshop. Designed for landscape professionals, this online program will focus on landscaping with native plants using the real world example of the Theodore Roosevelt Sanctuary and Audubon Center.
Designing with Natives – Molly Bourne (Matthews-Nielsen Landscape Architects) – Learn about the planning and implementation of the Theodore Roosevelt Sanctuary and Audubon Center renovation that created new bird-friendly native plantings and demonstration gardens. Concepts covered:
- The importance and impact of multi scale site analysis and its influence on planting design.
- Creating large and small-scale impacts on an ecosystem through planting and habitat design.
- Creating both habitat and space for education and interpretation with careful plant selection and design.
Working with Your Local Nursery – Ericka Graham (Assistant Grower of Long Island Natives) – Gain insight into the process of working with local native nurseries on ecologically oriented projects. Concepts covered:
- Challenges and opportunities facing native growers in the ecological industry.
- Proper species selection and why locally grown matters.
- Transplanting risks at different times of the year.
- Impacts of seasonality.
- Project lead times at nurseries from seed to finish.
New Thugs on the Block: A Rogues’ Gallery of Nasties for Your Natives – Tamson Yeh (Cornell Cooperative Extension Suffolk) – Learn about native garden pests both familiar and new, from insects to other maladies. Concepts covered:
- Review new and common invasives and issues for native gardens, including lifecycles and favored hosts.
- Recognition of threats during multiple times of the year including critical overwintering habitats.
- Remediation and learning about methods to prevent introduction.
Approved for 3 LA credit hours for NYS Registered Landscape Architects under the subjects of horticulture, landscape restoration, site design, and soil analysis by approved NYSED provider Cornell Cooperative Extension of Suffolk County (not LACES). Also approved for 3 ISA CEUs, 1 DEC CEU, and 3 CNLP CEUs.
CLICK HERE for more information and to register.