- Structures – recognizes design excellence in commissioned and completed buildings, bridges, tunnels, and mixed-use development
- Planning- seeks the most compelling work and ideas in urban planning, studies, design guides, advocacy, and regional scale planning. Commissioned and completed master plans and planning reports are also eligible.
- Open Space – recognizes design excellence in parks, constructed wetlands, and resilient sites.
- Projects – recognizes conceptual, unfinished, or unbuilt work. If an entry is awarded under this category, it will not be eligible for a future award once project has been realized.
- Student Award – recognizes excellence in a project from the three categories above: Structures, Planning, and Open Space.
Award Levels for all Categories
- Honor Award – Represents the highest level of achievement
- Merit Award – Represents distinguished achievement
- Citation – Represents exemplary achievements on specific project aspects.
- Best in Competition – Jurors will select one entry among the Honor Award winners to receive this unique recognition